Greening Malaysia Program through the 100 Million Tree Planting Campaign
The implementation of this campaign aims to increase the awareness of all parties about the importance of green cover areas and forests for well-being and quality of life in addition to efforts to improve the ecosystem and biodiversity of our country. This campaign also aims to foster a spirit of love for nature through the planting of various types of trees to all levels of society as well as supporting the commitment to maintain the cover of forested areas in Malaysia.
The implementation of Greening Malaysia Program through the 100 Million Tree Planting Campaign throughout the country under the 12th Malaysia Plan (RMK-12) has been announced by YAB Prime Minister while chairing the 77th National Land Council (MTN) Meeting on 8 September 2020.
The launch of this campaign has been implemented simultaneously throughout the country on January 5, 2021. This type of initiative promotes and encourages the involvement and cooperation of various parties including state governments, ministries and related federal/state government departments and agencies, private and corporate companies, non-governmental organizations, educational institutions and the public in making the campaign a success.
This campaign is implemented to:
- Maintaining green areas throughout the country in addition to preserving and conserving forested areas.
- Increasing awareness of the importance of trees and forested areas and fostering the spirit of love for nature again.
- Mobilizing the commitment and spirit of maintaining green cover areas as a
- Ensuring that the country’s commitment to maintain at least 50% of the country’s land area covered with forested areas and trees is achievable; and
- Encourage the participation of federal/state government agencies, private companies and corporate bodies, non-governmental organizations, educational/research institutions and the public in tree planting efforts.