1. WHO CAN LODGE A CONCERN/ DISSATISFACTION/ REPORT?
IIUM community and public.
2. WHAT IS THE OMBUDSMAN ROLE AND AUTHORITY?
Please refer to our authority information in the website.
3. WHO APPOINTS THE OMBUDSMAN?
The Ombudsman is a neutral person appointed by the Board of the University (being the highest level of authority in the University).
4. WHAT IS THE MAIN FUNCTION OF THE OMBUDSMAN?
The Ombudsman attends to complaints and dissatisfaction and provides recommendation for resolution.
5. WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF CONCERN/ DISSATISFACTION/ REPORT HANDLED BY THE OMBUDSMAN?
The Ombudsman handles complaint on concern/dissatisfaction/alleged misconduct involving:
i. any staff of the University
ii. management of the University
6. HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR CONCERN/ DISSATISFACTION/ REPORT?
You may write-in your concern together with related documents (if any). By submitting your concern, you are NOT FILING A FORMAL COMPLAINT with us. We will share the issue internally to relevant party and use it appropriately for recommendation and informal resolution.
7. WHAT IS AN INFORMAL RESOLUTION?
An alternative mechanism of resolving concern/dissatisfaction/report at the earliest possible opportunity and at the appropriate level through discussion and mediation for resolution in a conducive and timely manner, ideally without the need to go to higher level with legal and judicial implications.
8. DOES THE OMBUDSMAN RESPOND TO ALL COMPLAINTS?
The Ombudsman will exercise its discretion on when and whether to act upon a reported concern/dissatisfaction/report. Among others, the purpose is to be an advocate for the practice of good governance of the University.
9. DOES THE OMBUDSMAN SOLVE EVERY CONCERN/ DISSATISFACTION/ REPORT?
No. The Ombudsman will assist by discussing issues, evaluating available options to resolve issues, managing conflict, referring issues to related offices for solution including notifying the management of University of any gaps and inadequacies in any existing procedures/processes for improvement.
10. IS THE DECISION BY THE OMBUDSMAN BINDING ON ALL PARTIES?
The Ombudsman only makes recommendations to the University and does not make any binding decision, policies or procedures.
11. HOW LONG DOES THE OMBUDSMAN TAKE TO RESOLVE A CONCERN/ DISSATISFACTION/ REPORT?
When looking at each case, the time frame for resolution depends on:
i. how complex the matter is;
ii. how long it takes us to get the information we need in handling the matter. Ideally, it should be resolved between two (2) to four (4) weeks.
12. WHAT IF THE RELATED OFFICE DOES NOT IMPLEMENT WITH THE RECOMMENDATION?
Sometimes, the office is unable to implement the recommendation made due to factors such as physical, financial or other constraints, and this should be acceptable for all. If the office does not carry out the recommendation for no justifiable reason, the Ombudsman may consider to issue a report to the Board of the University on those issues.